Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Making Choices

Happy Wednesday Everyone!!! 
I teach mostly non-verbal and autistic children and once they complete their assignment in my reading or writing group they get to make a free choice of something to do for the remainder of the class. For the majority of them they each have a board like this

This is one of my students and the things he likes best. I tell him to go make a free choice and he walks over pics what he wants using the visual image and place it in the "sentence" I make him say I want____ (whatever it his he chooses) Then he gets it. So he is using his words in a sentence form to get what he wants. This is the best way for children to learn to make choices and as soon as he gets this well enough I will move to just basic PECS pictures or Symbol with Writing images. This also helps children put meaning to pictures and actual objects and match them up. I have these all over my room and they have worked wonders and I have seen the children that use them really benefit and become more successful! Just an idea, hopefully some one can use this in their room! Does any one else use something like this? 
Thanks for stopping by, please follow me! I would really appreciate it! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Can't wait to read more of your posts! This is my 3rd year teaching special ed. I was an EBD teacher 2 years and changed schools and am now an LD teacher. It's great to hear ideas from others in the same line of work:-D

    We are ALL Special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! Thanks for finding me! I love finding other peoples blog that help special needs students as well! Thanks for following me and I am now following you as well! LOVE your blog! :)

    -Holly Phinney

    ReplyDelete